More Information

Sunday, August 25, 2013

You delighted in a life dedicated to prayer

 O glorious St. Monica, you companied Augustine when he was beginning a monastic life with some friends.  You delighted in a life dedicated to prayer, and you were happy because you knew that your son made a good decision.  You, too, wanted to spend the rest of your life praying, in close contact with Jesus.  Guide us so that we may also be led to a deeper life of prayer and make prayer our life.  The path to this type of life begins when we start to simplify our needs.  When our hearts are calm because desires for material riches have died, then we open ourselves to a deeper life of prayer which you and your son started.  Lead us to this path.  Amen.

 We pray for mothers who suffer
because their children are dying from hunger.

Pain it lingers on in silence.
Tears are shed within my heart.
Suffer on, oh suffer on
are words recounted in my head.
Strength and perseverance needed,
on holy ground how much I've pleaded.
Tired, weary but not alone,
In you, my God, I make my home.